Signature TL-6.5 S2 Preamplifier
*This product is built to order. The estimated delivery time is 3 months.
More than seven years after introducing the TL6.5 Signature Preamplifier to wide acclaim, VTL presents a significantly revised version, the TL6.5 Series II. The new model incorporates numerous circuit improvements while retaining the best elements of the TL6.5 platform. The proven strengths of the original system design include a single chassis architecture, a fully balanced differential design, a hybrid circuit that combines tubes in the gain stage for voltage linearity, with a FET buffer for greater current capacity, a high resolution volume control with high overload capability, and precision-regulated power supplies. The highly-regarded user interface of the TL6.5 platform is renowned for its intuitive functionality and ease of use, with full-function remote control, and a fully bi-directional RS-232 control interface for increased compatibility with modern home theater systems.
The TL-6.5 Series II incorporates most of the advanced technology found in VTL’s flagship preamplifier, the TL-7.5 Series III, for a dramatically higher level of performance compared to the original design. The new version features an extensively revised power supply based on current-sourced shunt regulator technology that minimizes impact on the audio signal. Far more precise power regulation yields dramatically improved rejection of noise and AC fluctuation.
The completely redesigned high current gain stage utilizes newly available FET technology developed for green technologies such as solar panels and electric cars that require a normally-on state. Unlike MOSFETs that need to be biased on, normally-on devices operate more like vacuum tubes in the audio output stage, with simpler circuits that continuously conduct current, resulting in a more tube-like sound. The high-current gain stage is shock-mounted like the TL-7.5, and has been further optimized for linearity, with zero global negative feedback.
Audio circuit features
- Fully balanced differential circuit with balanced in and out, and mirror-image layout
- Simple 2-stage circuit topology with differential gain stage and output buffers for musical purity and integrity
- Ultra low impedance output stage to drive any length of cable and any power amplifier/paralleled amplifier/subwoofer load
- 20 microfarad output capacitors for powerful bass control
- Tube complement: 2 x 12AU7/ECC82 tubes
- Gain switching between normal gain and low gain with 6dB gain reduction
- Single fully balanced differential 95-step 70dB discrete resistor relay attenuator for all attenuation functions
Control and power supply features
- Precision regulation
- Ramped B+ filament soft-start power up for extended tube life
- Huge energy storage power supply for elimination of AC fluctuation and noise rejection
- Low noise processor control design for all functions
User interface features
- Processor loop – any of 8 inputs can be assigned as fixed unity gain pass through
- Tape monitor function for both tape loops
- 2 separately programmable trigger outputs
- Bi-directional RS-232 interface
- Programmable input offsets
- Rigid Combination steel and non-magnetic chassis and machined aluminum remote wand
- New FET device output stage for more tube-like sound and simpler bias circuit
- Improved current source for improved musicality and better single-ended operation
- Zero Global NFB for vastly improved faster dynamic and tonal resolution, and unconditionally stable circuit, without any phase shift.
- All audiophile grade capacitors in signal path with bypass system for improved HF resolution
- Vastly improved lower impact and greater precision-regulated current-sourced shunt power supply
- Teflon power supply bypass caps for improved top end
- Microphonically damped tube gain stage for greater vibration noise elimination
|Vacuum Tube Complement||2 x 12AU7|
|Inputs||3 pairs balanced/XLR or RCA single-ended, 5 pairs single-ended/RCA|
|Outputs||1 pair balanced out, 2 pairs single-ended RCA out, 2 pairs single-ended RCA buffered Tape Out|
|Remote control functions||Power, Source Select, Volume up/down, Mute, Fade, Balance Control, Phase Reverse|
|Gain||NORM: 14 dB single ended, 19.2 dB balanced
LOW: 7 dB single ended, 13 dB balanced
|Output impedance||50Ω (500Ω @ 20Hz)|
|Input impedance||Balanced: 112kΩ (36kΩ min)
Single ended: 54kΩ (18kΩ min)
|Frequency Response +0, -o.3 dB||10Hz – 200kHz, into 5kΩ 1000pF load|
|Maximum Output Voltage <1% THD||13V 10Hz – 200kHz into >5kΩ load|
|Channel separation||>100dB @ 1kHz (>80dB @ 20kHz)|
|Dimensions W x D x H||17.5 x 17.5 x 6 inches (44.5 x 44.5 x 15.3 cm)|
|Weight||46lbs (20.86Kg) unpacked, 57lbs (25.85Kg) fully packed|
“It (TL6.5 II) has added serious low-frequency extension and grip to the mix, moving it far closer to the flagship 7.5 in overall performance.”
“The S-200’s neat trick is to deliver a realistic impression of weight and scale, pitch and extension.”
“Put the latest ‘6.5 alongside the original version and what you’ll hear is a quieter, blacker background, deeper bass and crisper, quicker dynamics. Bottom-end pitch and textures are clearer, and the Series II throws a much more developed and clearly defined acoustic around and beyond the orchestra … Instrumental separation is better (tonally and spatially), while melodic lines are clearer and more fluid, that newfound clarity in the bass bringing organization and purpose to the midband and treble.”
“This ability to cut to the musical core, to fasten on the expressive and emotive center in a recording — whether the recording itself is of audiophile grade or not – makes this a product for those with a genuine interest in and a system focused firmly on music.”
“The VTL TL-6.5 Series II doesn’t just take; it commands a place on the extremely short list of musically authoritative and satisfying one-box line stages”
Sometimes we want to listen to our brand new audio setup without having to worry about dragging B&W up two flights of stairs - that's where we come in! Not only are our team experts in high quality AV equipment, they're also professional bodybuilders* who can deliver and install your new toys quickly and efficiently.
Our in-house team can service those in Brisbane, the Gold Coast, and the Sunshine Coast. Give us a call to get an obligation-free quote today!